"Pulse of Pediatricians" Survey Highlights
Perrigo Nutritionals, the makers of store brand infant formula, conducted a new nationwide survey of more than 250 pediatricians and found that almost all pediatricians (97 percent) say feeding is one of the top three categories new moms and dads ask about.
What Concerns a New Mom?
- Almost all pediatricians (97 percent) say feeding is one of the top three categories new moms ask about.
- More than half of pediatricians (52 percent) say that feeding is the number one category new moms and dads ask about.
- 43 percent of pediatricians say pooping is the second most asked about topic.
- 41 percent of pediatricians say sleeping is the third most asked about topic.
- Majority of pediatricians (64 percent) say the most common feeding question is: "how do I know if my baby is getting enough food."
- Two thirds (66 percent) of pediatricians say one of the top three feeding questions they answer is: "What formula do you recommend?"
- More than two thirds (69 percent) of pediatricians say one of the top three question new moms ask is: "Is supplementing breast milk with formula ok?"
What Pediatricians Have to Say?
Infant Formula & Nutritional Equality
- An overwhelming majority of pediatricians (71 percent) say all infant formulas, including store brand formulas, are basically the same and brands don’t matter.
- Almost two thirds (60 percent) of pediatricians say they are not recommending a specific formula when they give their patients samples. Majority (68 percent) give samples because they believe their patient values them.
- More than a quarter of pediatricians (26 percent) don’t have a reason for recommending a specific formula brand.
Pediatricians Have Heard it All
Most Outrageous Questions from New Parents
- New parents ask a lot of questions and pediatricians have answered them all! More than a quarter (26 percent) of pediatricians say they have answered an outlandish question from a new mom in regards to feeding:
- When can I feed my baby fast-food?
- Can I give my baby soda in a bottle?
- Will my baby get drunk if I breast feed after drinking a glass of wine?
- Can my baby be addicted to my breast milk?
- Can I pass my emotions (i.e. stress) through my breast milk?
- Other zany questions pediatricians have answered include:
- Is it okay for the newborn baby to go kite surfing on my back?
- Can we let our cat go in our baby’s crib?
- Can I give my baby some whiskey to help him sleep?
- Is my baby afraid of the dark?
- Can my newborn go scuba diving?
- How can I make my babies poop smell better?
About the Survey
- Data was collected from a nationwide survey of 251 pediatricians in August 2014. The survey was conducted via SERMO, the largest online physician community.